This healthy 7-ingredient Chicken & Mushroom stuffed Sweet Potato recipe is filled with a delicious mixture of chicken, mushrooms, french chives, garlic and cheddar cheese topped off with a dollop of sour cream. I love this meal because it’s fairly low in fat, carbs and calories, yet super delicious and easy to make.
It can be served as a main meal, entrée or side – depending on the size of the sweet potato. I very often find myself buying sweet potato over white potato. Although both spuds pack a powerful nutritional punch, sweet potatoes provide 400% of your daily requirement of Vitamin A. They are higher in minerals and have fewer calories, more fiber and fewer total carbs compared to white potatoes; despite being higher in sugar.
Chicken & Mushroom Stuffed Sweet Potato
An original recipe by Corinne Kruger
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- Author: Corinne Kruger
- Recipe Type: Main meal / Entrée / Side (depending on the size of the sweet potato)
- Serves: 4
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3 – 4 chicken breasts, optional, cubed or cooked whole & shredded
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled & crushed
- 1.5 knobs of butter, for frying
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh french chives, chopped
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soured cream
- Fill a pot about half full (you will need just enough water to cover the sweet potatoes); add a dash of salt and bring to boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cover the pan; cook sweet potatoes until cooked all the way through, becareful not to over cook. Remove the sweet potatoes from the pot and set them aside to cool.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil in a pan and cook whole chicken breasts over low heat until cooked all the way through. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Melt butter in the same pan as used for the chicken before adding chopped mushrooms and crushed garlic; cook until golden brown and set aside.
- Drizzle some olive oil over an oven tray. Slice each sweet potato in half, lengthwise and place on the oven tray. Meanwhile, shred the chicken breasts (they should have cooled enough at this point to handle without burning your fingers).
- Stuff the sweet potatoes with chicken, mushrooms and grated cheddar cheese; season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill in oven until cheese has melted +/- 5-10 min on 180°C/356°F.
- Once Sweet potatoes are removed from the oven, sprinkle french chives over the top and serve with a dollop of soured cream.
NOTES: *Swop out cheddar cheese with either Feta or Mozzarella. ** Leave out the chicken for a vegetarian option.
| Calories: 326g | Fat: 10.28g | Sat Fat: 6.04g | Protein: 25.63g | Carbs: 33.07 | | Sugar: 7.15g | Sodium: 257g | Fiber: 5.20g |
DISCLAIMER: This is a recipe of my own. All images used for this recipe are mine.